This weeks video is an exercise to improve ankle mobility. This is a great exercise because it stretch and strengthens so many muscle groups!
Let’s first start with some Modifications.
- If you know your gastrocnemius (calf muscles), soleus or achilles tendon are tight, then start the exercise with your heel raised. You can either place a towel, rolled up mat etc under your heel for the entire exercise.
- You have the option to place your hands on the floor behind you and push yourself up and keep the hands on the floor to support your weight the entire exercise. A lot of people don’t have enough strength through the ankle in this position, starting slow and building up is key.
- Option to either extend your arms out in front of you, which is more of a challenge or take hold of the straight leg in the air, which makes balancing a little easier.
- Option to increase difficulty would be to start the exercise with the arms extended forward and lift the body without the use of your hands.
- Last option would be to pick a different exercise if this one causes any pain.
Gluteus Medius & Maximus
Hip Flexor group